Just a generic geek, with a tendency for taking things apart


Blogger Profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
RSS Feed

PicoSearch

This blog is in the process of moving to Markw.us, just take note.

Sunday, January 09, 2005
Why Microsoft Will Die
 
Gadget and tech blog Gizmodo got an interview with Gates, and it isn't exactly shining (on either end) The interview has been run in two parts, and some questions are more kiss ass than others. One that got my attention is where Bill displays his incredibly overlooked ignorance of the general population and how we want the "2 foot experience" (See also Bill Gates thinks I'm a commie)

Here's the snipit (and interview):



Gates: But the full-screen... The idea that you get when you sit at two feet and you have a full screen, that will always be fundamental. That's just human physiology. There's nothing that substitutes for that. So whatever the software is—the platform that drives that two foot experience—will always be the most important software we do. Not so important that if we don't connect up with other people's software and other devices and ourselves write software for those other devices that we'll stay successful. It's a heterogeneous world. Will it be more tablet oriented, will it be more speech recognition oriented—well we put more R&D into those breakthroughs than any company on the planet. We're very optimistic about those things.



That paragraph is filled with bullshit. First I don't think anyone likes the two foot experience. Mobile platforms are taking off like crazy, bluetooth and similar technologies are exploding. Its quickly becoming more about being able to connect dozens of devices, find the data you want and have it report back. Windows doesn't do it, Macs don't do it, Linux doesn't do it. No one has developed this software that can seamlessly and automatically detect datas, who owns it, and can control the flow of data. Ideally this is going to extend into the real world, similar to augmented reality, except a stronger focus on the technology surrounding the individual as opposed to the real world.

For Example the podcasts I'm listing to anymore. I want a system, not a device a whole system, that can play the podcasts, but if in the middle of one I want to create a reply. In this reply I want to cite the show notes so I want to have it flash up over one eye (monocular display) and have the system automatically cite the relevant notes, because I'm citing the shownotes it already knows I'm sending something as a text so the system starts writing down what I say to the owner of the podcast. From there I may opt to include a link to a source and be able to send it without having to dig around for an hour to find the relevant material and prepare the note, assuming I remember to do it when I get back to a device I can set down two feet in front of me.

I want smart systems where I only need to carry one device (wearable display with wireless broadcasting, and audio interfaces) I imagine this would be something similar to the Oakley MP3 sunglasses except not as tacky and more personal. I know it probably means another sever type system left in another location to handle the massive amounts of data, full connection to the internet, and the processing, but I think it will be completely possible in the coming years.

I'm probably splitting hairs over the rest of it (specifically about the R&D funds he mentions) so I'll stop here. I don't think that a desktop or laptop computer is the future. People are already starting to see what information overload is, and desktop systems are not going to be the devices that will cure the problems it presents.



Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>