Just a generic geek, with a tendency for taking things apart


Blogger Profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
RSS Feed

PicoSearch

This blog is in the process of moving to Markw.us, just take note.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005
My Schrödinger's Delemia
 
I added some new quotes today to my quotes page, which is just about everyones favorite portion of the site, certainly one of the more visited at least. I really wanted to comment on this one however (Yes Virginia, this is going to be one of my longer posts):

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw


I heard it on one of the IT Conversations podcasts I was listing to on my twice daily commute, and it was in reference to this growing movement of Makers, Modders, and Hardware Hackers. One I like to consider myself as being, or at least having been part of. I'm not so sure that I'm in it anymore. I mean I'm not an uber-consumer and I certainly choose to make and repair as often as I can. The quote puts a new perspective on that however.

How much am I really changing? Am I really involved with this movement like I think I am, being one of the unreasonable who want to, and can, change the world or am I just a slacker kiddi3 - reasonable man - who managed to cobble some code together and call it a website? Is that really changing anything for anyone?

I know I average about 30 hits a day between this blog and the static site. That's a fact. The uncertainty lies in all the people who find the obscure links to the site and look around. In nearly three years of maintaining this collection of tag riddled text I can still count the number of people who have emailed me about the content of this site - on my hands (in base 10, not binary) I'm barely onto my toes when I add the deliberate linkage - references I didn't plant myself.

Running this site has been pretty thankless (which would be why I haven't made a massive, or even regular updates to it aside from the blog)

The other item I was really thinking about, and is at least partially contradictory to the last few paragraphs is real geniuses ship A little spin on a famous Steve Jobs quote (real artists ship) Many people have the same ideas. Just because 43folders writed about his "Hipster PDA" (which if you missed is little more than a pocket full of index cards and a spring steel paper clip) doesn't mean he was the first to think of it - lots of people carry index cards, and lots of people have tangental ideas. I've been carrying a half sheet of paper in my wallet since before 43folders was even a blog. So I guess there's a little hope for me and my pathetic little brick in the wall we all know as the internet. I mean I suppose I'm not too bad off. I at least rank on numerous search engines, With upwards of 12 billion webpages out there I suppose having something is far better than nothing.

And yes writing this all out has a point. This is my scratchpad blog, I scratch, stretch, and stress out ideas here, and considering that my summer is looming on the horizon and I still have to make the bastard decision I keep putting off, and yes its still getting harder as the hours drag on and the days fly by.



Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>